Saturday, September 16, 2017

You Raised Me Up

Good morning to each of you. This morning, I feel the need to acknowledge my Father because of all that He has done in my life and is doing. Think back through your life about all of your ups and downs and victories and misses. Then think about where you are in contentment in your life today. Then give Him praise.
     Lord, it is Alma L. Jones, known to some as "Grammy Alma." You shepherded me through my childhood days of losing my daddy by making me realize that You loved me. You showed me in innumerable ways that You watched over me. When my clothes weren't up to par, You were there to wrap me in the arms of Your love by telling me, "One day." When my classmates belittled me and called me names because I did not live in the best area in town, You gave me hope in my future. You had me to know that one day, You would raise me above the inconsequential chatter of those classmates. You had me to know that, though the world looked upon me as a nobody, You looked upon me with lovingkindness. You made this little nobody feel cherished enough that I could stand in front of the class and recite whatever it was that the teacher had assigned to us. You made people look past the trappings of my ragged clothes, past the area of town that I lived in, past the fact that I did not have a daddy in the house, past the fact that grass grew knee high in the summertime in our yard in the middle of the city of Memphis, past the fact that my clothes smelled like charcoal and paper in the wintertime because we had no lights, gas, and water in the house, past the fact that I had to haul water from my aunt's house in canisters, to see the little soul nestled within those trappings. You wrapped me in the cloak of, "That's okay because you will have these things and more one day."
     You raised me up past where men would have me stay and put me in a place where I could work for You. Now, I work from the mountain of perseverance and faith. You gave me that, Father and I thank You. For all that You have done for me, the blessings, the lessons, the care packages, the high school guidance counselor who saw something in me that she liked and other benefactors, I humbly thank You. Now, it is my time to tell the world about the God that I serve as I shine from the top of my mountain. All of the glory belongs to You, O God. In the name of Jesus, I thank You and acknowledge You for the God that you are, Amen.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,
Alma L. Stepping On Jones (Grammy Alma)

No comments: