Monday, September 18, 2017

This Time of the Year

Good morning! I thought that I would give your brain a good wake-up call this Monday morning with some poetry. Would love to hear from you. I am going to be undergoing some changes here on my blog. I will keep you posted and hopefully won't lose any of you in the transformation. More later.

Fall is creeping upon us
And I find myself wondering
Where all of the days have gone
It was just April last month it seems
Now, all of the days have flown.

I suppose it comes from having 
 A slip of paper,  your head bent toward
Or from pounding out volumes of work 
On your computer keyboard.

Still, it means that several hours and
Minutes have managed to pass me by
And all I can do is wonder how and why
Time has chosen this period of my life to fly
When, as a child the hours, days and months
Would crawl like snails or molasses by.

********

Found a gigantic black spider in my sink yesterday
And I opened my mouth and screamed
With volume enough that it brought my 
Husband, with his sore knee, running
The spider just sat there for me and all to see
In all of his shiny black horrid cunning.

But when my husband moved my dishpan
He must have felt danger on his horizon
Because when my husband looked back at him
He was nowhere to be found and I
Started shrieking again because there was now 
An arachnid hidden in my domain
And I don't suppose I will ever look at 
That kitchen as a haven of peace again 
For the image of that shiny horrid black spider remains 
Forever seared across my brain.

Later, I thought to myself, when 
Lucid thought had returned
You never take your eyes off of a spider
Because they seem to glide like they are rolling
Along on currents of swift-moving air
And before you know what they are about
They have absconded to places you know not where.

That spider owns my kitchen now 
And I can not get it back
Not until I lay, with a heavy hand, the
Flat of my trusty flyswat across his back
And break his bones or cartilage with 
A resounding and heartfelt WHACK!

********


Leaves are starting to fall, and I am
Looking forward to a drive through
The hilly, wooded area a few miles from my house
So that I can bask in the wonder and glory 
Of the powerful God that we serve
Who by His omnipotent hand
Paints this tableau across the land
Season after season thus reminding me
In the process, that there is a Power that is higher
Than the mightiest of men and of powers
And He is Lord of All in His majestic splendor.

********


Have know times of scarcity
Have known times of plenty
But I have a loving Father
Who has always taken care of me.

********

Poetry Pondering

  1. What ties the poems together into a cohesive group? Explain.
  2. What feeling is evoked in the second poem? Explain. The third poem? Explain.
  3. What is the status of the speaker in the last poem? Explain.
  4. Two of the poems above display a change of perception. Which two are they and expound upon the perception change.
  5. Write appropriate titles for each poem and give your rationale for the title you give to each poem.
Doing What I CAn, While I Can Because I Care,
Alma L. Stepping On Jones (Grammy Alma)









No comments: