Friday, July 7, 2017

Rumbling Thunder

It thundered last night
And the  rumbling was so loud 
That I wondered if it were the 
Approach of a funnel cloud
Because I could hear the rumbling as it got near
And it inspired, in me, awe and a bit of fear.

Awe because the God I serve was responsible for it
And fear because of the sheer force of it
As it seemed to rumble along the ground
And seemed to cause the very air to vibrate
Like a mighty "sound quake." 

But through the sunshine and the rain
I have learned to lean on Jesus just the same.

(Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 KJV)

Good morning, posting a bit later than I usually do. 
     Life got in the way this morning. Nevertheless, getting it done. When I was a child, I was a little different from most children. I was very shy and introverted. I guess I was like that because I had myself for company most of the time, as I was my mother's only girl. At any rate, I spent a lot of time thinking and analyzing situations and people. I did not know that I was doing anything extraordinary at the time, I just did it. In essence, I was and am a deep, serious thinker about most things, and because of that I prayed a lot and became close to God. I will tell you why I mentioned this fact a few paragraphs down.
     To this day, I still find myself analyzing the "why" of things. And when I cannot figure out the "why" of a situation I move on to the next puzzle, though periodically going back to the one that I just left. When I do just finally give up on a situation, I remember what my mother told me a long time ago, "There are some things that only God knows and if we are meant to know He would let it be known to us through discovery, whether ours or someone else's." I imagine that she told me that because I was always asking her questions that she had to ponder over. (tee hee)  She did tell me after I had gotten grown and was living on my own and we had become like sisters and could chat with one another like good friends do, that when I was little, she never knew what was going to come out of my mouth. She said that when I would come to her with that funny little, puzzled frown on my face, that she told herself, "Uh oh, here we go again." (tee hee) She told me that she never had a dull moment around me because she never knew what I was going to say. (tee hee) My poor husband, now he gets asked all of the questions that I used to pester my mother with. Sometimes he looks at me and says, "Uh unh, not today!" He holds his hands up when he says this. ( Hee hee) Nothing like a little laughter to lighten the up a situation.
    At any rate, I told you a couple of paragraphs up that life had gotten in the way this morning of my early posting to my blog. Well, here is what happened. As most of you know, I am a diabetic and have to take by blood sugar reading each morning. Today was no different. But when I took it this morning, it was still high though down some from yesterday morning. Now, mind you, I have been diabetic a long time, so I pretty much know what I need to do to keep my numbers in the okay range. 
     With my inquisitive mind, I started thinking what was different about my body that my tried-and-true regimen for getting my sugar in check was not working for me this time. I realized that I had been having hot flashes since the doctor had discontinued one of my medicines. Well, with my inquisitive brain, I wondered if hot flashes had anything to do with high blood sugar. Ha Ha Ha, Oh brother does it ever! So, now I have to take other measures and I will. 
     I said all of that to say this to you. It does not matter what life hands you on a platter or not; you must always have an intimate enough relationship with the Lord that He will answer your prayers. If you have the Lord on your side and have His ear, then all else is a piece of cake, no pun intended. I mentioned in the first paragraph that I was close to The Lord because that is the way that I handle all of my complexities, my problems, my life, y'all. It is to Him and because of Him that I pray and am a success today. Having said that I will leave you with the last couple of lines from the poem that I wrote above.
   But through the sunshine and the rain
I have learned to lean on Jesus just the same.

(Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 KJV)  Rumbling Thunder, I give to the Lord. He handles all of my storms. Case closed!

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,
Alma L. Stepping On Jones


No comments: