Monday, February 20, 2017

Every Now and Then


Hello, all. 

This morning,  I thought that I would talk about forgiveness. We often talk about forgiveness of others, but seldom do we talk about forgiveness of self. I know that is a tall topic that I have chosen for today but that is the one that has been placed on my mind. So, let’s jump right into it, shall we?

Have you ever done something that you were ashamed of? Maybe given in to a whim, told somebody off, etc. and immediately felt contrite about it? Have you ever felt so low that you could not forgive yourself? I think that most of us have gone through similar times in our lives. But it is at times like this that we have to be reminded of our Father’s grace. It often takes times like the ones mentioned above to remind us of the phenomenal God that we serve and of the magnificent love that He has for mankind. When we are reminded, it should drop us to our knees with awe. There is a song that says, "Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the world Thy hands have made..." Then the song goes on to explain about His greatness and about the impact that those words had on the song writer's soul.

But I am awed this morning anew because of His love for a piece of clay, me, that messes up many times and yet He keeps on loving me. Folks, that makes me ever thankful. There is a scripture that I want to reference this morning, Hebrews 4:16 and it reads:
Let us, therefore, come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

That scripture says to me that no matter what condition I am in, if I but come to His throne in repentance asking for forgiveness, He will hear me. I am so glad to know that He is faithful and that even when I mess up, He says, “I forgive.” And He keeps His arms of protection around me. When I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, He is there protecting. When my enemies encompass me, He is there.


Armed with those words, folks, we can keep working for our Lord (though we mess up every now and then) as we make our journey toward Him and home. Let us all be grateful and thankful for His phenomenal love and let us tell Him so!

Doing What I Can, While I Can,
Alma L. Stepping On Jones

No comments: