Friday, November 6, 2015

He Kept Me Yet Again

While walking back down
The corridors of my mind
A particular harrowing incident
I did find.

Since I was the youngest
My brothers were admonished
To take care of me
Especially when we had to cross
The busy city streets.

On one particular day
The brother, who was the jokester
Decided to play a trick on me
Which he did, to his hilarity.

We had to cross Chelsea Avenue
Which was a wide thoroughfare
We would run across one side
To the median and wait there
Until it was clear to cross the other
Well, owing to the rascality of my brother
I, now, cross the streets on my own
And never listen to someone who says
"The way is clear, now go!"
For I remember the screech of the tires
That day that scared me so
When he yelled for me to run
While he only pretended to go.

Tires screeched and horns honked
As cars swerved and almost crashed
To keep from hitting a fleet footed child
Who when she got to the other side
Was wearing a teary but tremulous smile.

Just another time, as I push rewind
I hear Jesus say
"I will take care of you."
He kept me folks
He brought me through
For He knew that one day
I would be writing to you.

Time to Ponder:


  1. What is the pervading mood of this poem? On what do you base your conclusion?
  2. What is the attitude of the author before the car incident? After?
  3. How does the author feel about crossing streets today?
  4. What is the religious temperament of the author? Please explain your answer from information supplied or inferred within the poem.
  5. What do you suppose is the relationship of the author to her brother today? Do a paragraph to explain your answer.

Doing What I Can, While I Can
Alma Jones

No comments: