Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Scars on My Soul

Alma L. Jones (@Jonesa54Jones)
As a kid, you fell down
You got back up tho' you received
A scratch that left a scar
For a child that was par
...Too, in vying for a crown

Yes, I cry
Though I don't let you see me do so
Then I with tenacious determination
Continue on the road I go.

"Beloved, think it not strange, as though some fiery trial doeth beset you." This verse says that we are going to go through troubles and trials as I have told you before, so expect it.

Okay, so let's have some thinking fun as we decipher the poem from my Twitter page, shall we?

  1. Define the word vying found in line 5.
  2. Looking at line 1, can you write a sentence explaining it? Lines 2 & 3? Line4? Line 5? Line 5 will take some thought, I vow.
  3. Is there any connection between the poem in the box and the one below it? Explain the connection in at least two paragraphs.
  4. What scripture is quoted that speaks of fiery trial?
  5. Has this poet experienced any disappointments in his/her life? On what did you base your conclusion?
  6. Think About It: Why is this piece entitled, "Scars on My Soul?"
If you were able to answer the questions that I posed about the poem(s), then you my friend, are well on your way to, not only understanding, but enjoying poetry. Congratulations!

Doing What I Can, While I Can
Alma Jones

No comments: