Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Trickle - A Deluge (cont.)

Good day. I didn't get my usual early morning start on my blog. Sorry about that. By now, you probably have had your coffee, breakfast and lunch already, huh?  At any rate, we are blogging now. Let's get right to the poem that I mentioned to you yesterday. I reprinted it for you so that you would not have to keep looking back to it to answer the questions that I pose.

Years before he was born
Legend says that an old woman
Said to his mom that prosperous 
Her unborn child would be
To old woman gone, said
Child wants to know
How long he has to 
Wait for prosperity.

For Pondering:
  1. Using line 1 only, what would you guess that the age of the "he" mentioned in this line to be? Why?
  2. Build a 1,500 word descriptive narrative around lines 2, 3, and 4.  Be sure to include your occasion for which the old woman spoke to the "soon to be mother."
  3. Is the "he" in this poem happy with his lot in life? Substantiate your conclusion with at least 200 words.
  4. Does "he" believe the prophecy? Substantiate please.
  5. Does the prophecy ever come true? If you said that it comes true, tell me why you said so. If you said that it does not come true, tell me why you said that. In other words, expound upon whichever choice you made.
I like to look at poetry as the framework for a story. Some poems, you may have to work at getting to the story a lot harder than you do with some others, but a story you can get, nonetheless. And the beauty of poetry is that, in your mind, you can fill the framework (rack of ribs) with as much tender juicy succulent meat as you desire. You can even add your favorite sauce and make that poem sizzle with goodness that only you can taste. Why? You build it according to the things that have occurred in your life. (depending on your faith, your viewpoint) So, a poem may say one thing to one person and something different to another. Ye-e-s! You begin to get the essence and the beauty of poetry, don't you? Just stick with me... Who knows? You may decide that you like it well enough to try your hand at it.  Tee hee They always told me that I was a good teacher and it must be so, musn't it? Why? Well, you read all the way to the bottom of this blog didn't you? If this were a virtual classroom where we could interact, then the lesson that I just presented to you would be the starting point and yes, you would enjoy every juicy succulent bite that we built together in subsequent lessons.

Doing What I Can, While I Can
Alma Jones

Aside - Will give you the occurrence that gave me the idea for the poem on tomorrow. Hope you enjoy this poem and the subsequent questions as much as I did formulating it all for you.



No comments: