Saturday, October 3, 2015

Up From Charcoal Bucket Days!

Col-d-d-d!  She was so cold! She weighed a mere 98 pounds and sometimes she had to push against the wind (as she did now) to keep it from pushing her backward as she, head down, made her way across the yard to the house. When she reached the house, she quickly shut the door and turned the latch so that the gust would not blast the door open, as it had been known to do from time to time. She was glad to be out of the wind that, as her mother said, would cut you into. She looked longingly toward the gas heater where the flames normally jumped with their colors of blue, yellow and orange. There was no answering fire there that day and there was no welcoming warmth, as there used to be. There was only the hard stiff cold of the January, 7 degree weather! 

Well! That is enough of that! Whew! Good morning to all!
Did you feel the cold as you walked with the young lady  who was making her way across the yard to the house?  That young lady would be me. I revisited some memories from my childhood just so that I could remember from whence the LORD has brought me! You see, though I am being tossed to and fro right now, I have to remember the times when I didn't have automated heat, the times when I had walls that used to be painted a pretty mint green  that became the color of black soot due to the residue that the old gas heater threw off,  and the times when I was forced to cook on a charcoal bucket in my living room because that was the only way to prepare food and the only source of warmth. I could go on, but there is no need. You get my drift. I shared that with you to say to you, as well as to myself, HE brought you up, from the charcoal bucket days; don't you dare get down on HIM now. HE has brought you a mighty long way and I'm glad to be able to write to you and say, "Jesus cares and He is able!"
There is a song that says, " I don't believe He brought me this far to leave me!" You hold on to that thought and you keep praying, smiling and stepping for Jesus! It will be alright, after a while! How do I know? The same way that you know, probably.

Look at HIS track record! 
It's plain for all to see 
He had it put in HIS Bible 
That HE had scholars to write 
For you and for me!

Look at HIS track record
From church folks that you know
Look at HIS track record 
Everywhere you go

Look at HIS track record
Of what HE has done for you
Remember all the "stuff"
That HE brought you "to" and "through!"



Doing What I Can, While I Can
Alma Jones

No comments: