Thursday, August 20, 2015

One Step at a Time

Good morning everyone! My, my! It is but a lovely day. Isn't it? I trust by now, that you have had your coffee or your usual morning wake up beverage.  I got up at 4, as I usually do most days. It seems that that is the time that I am most productive with my writing.

On yesterday, I had big plans for what all I was going to get accomplished. Remember, my blog pretty much ended with my saying, that no matter how big the task, whittle it down by taking smaller sections and doing those sections one at a time.  That statement was the last thing that I put on my blog, okay? Now, get this! Late last night, the last thing I read was from FFW (Funds for Writers) written by Hope Clark. Take a listen!

I've been frustrated with a book I'm writing because it doesn't seem to be leaping and running on all cylinders. Like an old lawnmower, the story seemed to need constant cranking. I kept thinking how long it would take me to get the job done. As a result, I struggled with the chapters I was in, unable to fall deeply into it for the frustration at how long it was taking.


So I made myself sit at the computer, no excuses, and write 2,000 words to advance the story. No more, no less. The only goal to make 2,000 words come together. Took me eight hours. I didn't feel like it amounted to much because each word felt so worthless and forced. I put it up for the night once I hit my word count.


The next day, I pulled it out to edit before I started writing again (yes, I'm that person who writes one day and edits the next - two steps forward and one step back), and dang if it wasn't half bad. Decent, in fact. The 2,000 words gave tension to the story, and propelled my protagonist in a new direction. All I did was focus only on the mission - write a solid 2,000 words. Don't think about the next three chapters, or writing another 2,000 today, I couldwrite 2,000 tomorrow. No. I just set the one small goal.

Folks, you know how life throws a message at you sometimes?  I, too, had been dreading a book project that was taking forever, it seemed. You remember the Mrs. Ruby Saga that I just finished? Well, there are four other stories that I have to finish for that particular manuscript that the Mrs. Ruby Saga Series is a part of.  Then I have to put questions in the manuscript for the poems that are created; get it all typed edited, etc. So I penned my words to myself hoping to keep me from feeling so overwhelmed and disappointed about not tackling that book, yet again and to motivate me to just do a little each day, whether I "felt it or not." Well,  for all my good advice to myself and all, my plans for the book got tabled and I felt this book hanging over my head like a gigantic weight. I had almost classified this book as too tedious, too much, too much. You know, "best laid plans, etc."? Life got in the way, as it sometimes does and I was about to toss this book back upon the shelf and work on some of my easier manuscripts. Then I just happened to read Hope's, FFW Funds for Writers, was struck by the coincidence of what both of us had written and promptly drifted off to sleep. When I awoke this morning, the first thought on my mind was what I penned on my blog on yesterday and what I had read from Hope.
Folks, it didn't take me long to put the timing of the two thoughts from two different people together. I mean, first thing in the early morning and the same thought last thing at night. Coincidence? Nope!  I don't believe in them.
So I start off this morning with the two things that I did not get accomplished near the top of my list.  Yes, the book was one of them. How could it not be? (Tee hee) Now, I said all of that to say this: if you did not do all, be all that you wanted to on yesterday, don't beat yourself up about it. If you woke up this morning, then begin anew. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not promised. Today is all you have; make the most of it. This little tidbit serves several areas of life; use it well. I aim to. This thought blessed me and I, in turn, pass it forward to bless you.
Be blessed!

Doing What I Can, While I Can
Alma Jones

No comments: